WELCOME TO MRS. CHAMPIGNY'S HOMEPAGE!
What a wonderful opportunity I have each and every day to work with children who are so eager to learn! As the reading specialist at Mary Shoemaker, working with the kids either one-on-one or in a small group allows me to really zero in on their individual needs, correcting any poor reading habits I see, and teaching them the pieces of reading that they need to succeed. Learning to read is very challenging! Whether it’s making a prediction beyond the next story event, learning how to apply phonics skills to read an unknown word, or understanding the phrases and the vocabulary of our English language for a story to make sense, so much has to come together in order for a child to be a successful reader. Helping each child with this tremendous task is a true honor! What a fun way to spend my day!
Reading on a daily basis is so critical for kids at these ages. They need to regularly practice all the skills they’ve developed so far in order not to lose them. Just like in soccer, the coach has the children practice the same thing over and over in order for the kids to “get it.” It’s the same with reading. I know it’s hard at the end of a long day to find those minutes for your kids, but the payoff is wonderful. Please, please find that time.
Some ways to read together:
- Your child reads to you.
- You read to your child.
- Chorally read – read the same page together. Just don’t go too fast.
- Echo read – you read the first few sentences or so. Your child reads the same sentences back to you.
- Silently read and then discuss what you’ve read to keep comprehension in check.
- Record your child reading and share the video with family.
Please feel free to contact me about your child's reading. You can reach me either via email or leave me a message, and I'll return your call as soon as I can.
Some webpages that I like:Martha ChampignyMSS Reading Specialist
- 1993 Graduate of University of Delaware with a Bachelors in Elementary Education
- 2000 Graduate of Rowan University with a Masters in Reading, Certification in NJ as a Reading Specialist