Be Proud! Read Aloud!
What a wonderful opportunity I have each and every day to work with children who are so eager to learn! As a reading specialist at Mary Shoemaker, working with the kids either one-on-one or in a small group allows me to really zero in on individual needs, correcting any poor reading habits I see, and teaching them the pieces of reading that they need to succeed. Learning to read is very challenging! Whether it’s learning how to apply phonics skills to read an unknown word, or understanding the phrases and the vocabulary of our English language for a story to make sense, so much has to come together in order for a child to be a successful reader. Helping each child with this tremendous task is a true honor! What a fun way to spend my day!
Some ways to read together:
- Your child reads to you.
- You read to your child.
- Chorally read – read the same page together. Just don’t go too fast.
- Echo read – you read the first few sentences or so. Your child reads the same sentences back to you.
- Silently read and then discuss what you’ve read to keep comprehension in check.
- Record your child reading and share the video with family.
Please feel free to contact me about your child's reading. You can reach me either via email or leave me a message, and I'll return your call as soon as I can.
Some webpages that I like:Martha ChampignyMSS Reading Specialist
- 1993 Graduate of University of Delaware with a Bachelors in Elementary Education
- 2000 Graduate of Rowan University with a Masters in Reading, Certification in NJ as a Reading Specialist